Saturday, October 24, 2009

Journey to Redondo Beach

After Avila Beach, I was headed to Redondo Beach, my final destination this trip. The Portofino Hotel & Yacht Club would be my home for three nights.

Mapquest told me the drive would be about 3 1/2 hours, so I planned on taking about four to five hours to drive from Avila Beach to the LA area. I tend to want to stop to take pictures and explore, so I padded the time. I anticipated getting there at about Noon, but I think it was closer to 1 p.m., after leaving Avila Beach sometime around 7 a.m.

The drive was interesting. A few years ago, I went to Santa Barbara, so I was looking forward to driving through the area since I enjoyed it so much. An unexpected surprise was to find The Hitching Post, the restaurant/bar seen in the movie "Sideways." I also drove past Eladio's, across from Stearn's Wharf, which I remembered being a great lunch spot (sole piccata, yum!!).

The Portofino was a nice hotel in a pretty convenient location on the water at Redondo Beach. I chose a room on the water, since I had read so much about being able to see sea lions from the room. I'm glad I chose the view of the water, because the view of the parking lot would have been quite boring. It was nice being able to open the balcony door and enjoy the sights and sounds.

My first item of business was to have lunch with an old friend from high school. I'll call her Florist Girl, since that's the first job I recall her having in high school. Florist Girl came to pick me up at the hotel, then we drove around a bit trying to decide what to eat, with the help of OnStar (or whatever navigational device was in her car). I mentioned Olive Garden, so we found one near Del Amo Mall. I know Olive Garden is kind of "generic" Italian food, but I still love it! It doesn't help that they taunt us here in Hawaii by showing all those commercials, even though we don't have an Olive Garden. But, I digress...I ordered a yummy Grilled Steak Crostada.

After that, Florist Girl offered to take me to Trader Joe's for my omiyage. I didn't want to buy much in Vegas since I still had a long trip ahead of me, so I saved the bulk of the shopping for LA. One of the big finds this trip was a salt that sure looks like Fleur de sel, but with a different name, and at a much lower cost. At TJ's, the salt was about 1/3 the price I paid at Foodland for a bottle of Fleur de sel that was 1/2 the size of the TJ's salt. More recently, I learned that TJ's sells some pretty awesome salami! You can bring it home since it doesn't need to be refrigerated until it's opened.

Florist Girl asked if there was anything else I wanted to do or see, and I couldn't think of anything, so we headed back to the hotel. However, we had a serendipitous moment. We spotted a Penguins! As in Penguins yogurt. When we were in high school, that was a pretty trendy thing. Although Florist Girl has lived in Southern California for a number of years, even she didn't know that Penguins still existed, so it was a pretty exciting find! We had to spin around and have some. I was glad we found it and decided to stop because it also allowed us to spend more time together to sit down and chat. Florist Girl is one of those people you can not see or talk to for a very long time, yet just pick up wherever you left off as if time hadn't passed at all.

Since it was a long day, I decided to stay in and order room service. The hotel restaurant, Baleen, has received some pretty good reviews. The food didn't disappoint. I had a bowl of clam chowder, which was made with smoked bacon and potatoes - and we all know that bacon makes everything better! Next was a reconstructed Caesar salad - I'm not sure what was "reconstructed" about it. I think this was pretty standard. Since I was only having soup and salad, I rationalized that I could also order a creme brulee - yummy! I love fruits, particularly berries, on the mainland.

To be continued...(pics to follow)

No comments: