Friday, August 14, 2009

Hearst Castle

Must...focus...finish...trip report...

I just realized I'm in the final stretch of my trip report. In part, that motivate
s me. But it also makes my mind start to wander and think about all the other things I want to post about! My first post after I finish my trip report is going to be about my 10 favorite restaurants on Oahu -- I got the idea after reading "What's YOUR Top 10?" on the Honolulu Advertiser's Urban Mix Plate blog, by Melissa Chang. I've already written them down, and it wasn't easy. I actually wrote down 11, and another restaurant that closed, but that I will always remember as one of my favorites. There are also a bunch of new-to-me food places I've tried recently that I want to write about, but I promised I'd finish writing about my trip before moving on.

Back to focusing on the trip report...


Another place I have long wanted to visit in California is Hearst Castle. It's in San Simeon, wh
ich is kind of an awkward halfway point between Los Angeles and San Francisco, which is part of the reason I'd never gone there before. They offer a number of different tours, so after reading the website, I had determined that two tours would be good for me to do in one day. Since this was the first time visiting Hearst Castle, I decided I should do Tour 1, the Experience Tour, first, which is recommended for first-time visitors. The second tour I chose was Tour 4, the Garden Tour, which also includes a tour of the largest guest house and the wine cellar. I booked the tours online as recommended on the website. The website is pretty cool, as it tells you how many spaces are available on each tour.

It took about an hour to drive from Avila Beach. There was lots of parking, although I messed up by automatically taking the first stall I saw in what I later found was an overflow parking lot. I could have driven further in to the main parking lot.

There is a Visitor's Center where you go to pick up your tickets and board buses up to Hearst Castle, about a 10-minute scenic ride up a windy hill. I booked my two tours back-to-back, beginning with the Experience Tour. The tour started off in an area overlooking the property and stretched all the way out to the ocean. Then we headed over to the pool, which you've probably seen in photos, movies, or tv shows at some point. I remember seeing it in the opening credits of "Dynasty." It really is a beautiful pool! Someone asked the tour guide if anyone ever gets to swim in it, and the tour guide replied that occasionally they have employee parties where employees can bring a guest to swim in the pool.

Both tours covered various outdoor
areas and gardens. The types of trees, plants, and flowers are so varied, it's incredible. In fact, the guides explained that William Randolph Hearst basically built the home and grounds with items from an assortment of countries and cultures, even if they didn't necessarily "match," resulting in some critiques that the home was an atrocity. Because he was always working on making the home to his liking, it was never truly finished, and there are some areas where it is somewhat obvious that something was redone or built-over.

Other areas the tours covered included guest homes, a wine cellar, dining hall, billiard room, and an indoor pool styled after a Roman bath. Other interesting bits of trivia we learned are that Mr. Hearst felt that fruit looked best on the trees and shouldn't be picked. Whatever fruit was eaten was not from the grounds. Also, he liked the smell of flowers and wanted there to be a scent everywhere in the gardens. There are only nine gardeners that take care of the entire property! Besides the Castle itself, the property is vast. At one point it used to house zoo animals, but now is only home to cows, horses, and zebras. I was hoping to see a zebra, but no such luck.

After both my tours, I decided to check out the cafeteria for lunch. I was intrigued because of the Hearst Ranch beef, which is free-range and grass-fed. If you haven't tried it, grass-fed beef is awesome! I had a tri-tip sandwich w/ BBQ sauce, beans, and corn on the cob. Excellent! Although there was a very ominous-looking bird staring at me while I was eating.

After that I headed back to Avila Beach where I drove around a bit to explore along the ocean. And I couldn't let that nice hot tub on my balcony go to waste, so I ordered some really yummy food (pizza and a salad) from the little market on the resort property and relaxed in my room for the evening. The next day I headed to LA, so I wanted to be well-rested for the drive, which I estimated to take about 3 hours.

Next up...Los Angeles, here I come!

No comments: