Saturday, August 9, 2008

Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2

I have always loved movies. They're kind of therapeutic for me. It's kind of an escape from reality for a little while, and I really appreciate the artfulness of movies, no matter how good or bad they are. There is usually SOMETHING interesting in a movie, whether it be the plot, the characters, the special effects, the acting, or the setting.

Since my significant other (who from here on shall be referred to as "Hedgehog") is living on the other side of the world until sometime mid-2009, I have tried to thinking of things I really enjoy that I want to focus my time on. Movies are one of them. I decided I would try to see one movie each week, and I've done that for about the past 4 weeks. This week I decided on Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2.

I watched the first Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants on DVD, probably a year and a half after it was released in theaters. I didn't have a desire to see it when it first came out, but then I discovered Ugly Betty and started to love almost all things America Ferrera. If you are also an America Ferrera fan, watch Real Women Have Curves. I ended up really enjoying the first Sisterhood movie. Again, not Oscar material, but I thought it was a really great story about friendship (although it is really bizarre that the same pair of jeans would fit four women with drastically different body types and heights).

When I heard Sisterhood 2 was being made, I knew I'd see it because I liked the first one and I also wanted to see America Ferrera since I still have to wait another month and a half to see her on some new Ugly Betty episodes, but I didn't really have high expectations of the movie. I mean, what else could they do? The pants had already been all over the world in the first movie, which took place after the four girls graduated from high school. Now it's three years later. What have the pants been doing since?

For those of you who are not familiar with the story of the first movie, the four friends decide to rotate the pants in one week intervals and send it off to the next person with a note about what happened to them while the were wearing the pants. This goes on the whole summer, with the friends sharing their life-changing experiences with each other as the pants go from one friend to another. The pants are supposed to bind them together, no matter where they are.

Sisterhood 2 is predictably the same, since the pants still travel from one friend to another. But this time, the experiences of the friends are different and more mature, although they do have their childish moments. I suppose part of the movie is the transition of the women into adulthood where they have to deal with more adult situations, and being able to confront their emotions head-on rather than letting them stew. Besides having their own personal struggles, the women struggle with each other, trying to find a way to maintain their friendships with each other on top of the stuff they're dealing with personally.

Besides the story of friendship and personal revelations, I just enjoy the scenery in the movie. There are scenes in Vermont, Yale, New York, Turkey, and Greece. (Well, I'm not really sure it was really Turkey, but that's where Bee, the tall blonde one, was supposed to be!)

I kind of doubt many guys will like this movie, unless you're extremely in touch with your sensitive side, or you think the main characters are attractive. The majority of the people in the theater were women, with a few husbands and boyfriends who were probably reluctantly dragged along. But if you're a woman, and you're in the mood for a chick flick, give this one a chance.

No comments: