Sunday, August 10, 2008

The Bucket List

I'm a big fan of Netflix, primarily because I'm lazy. I think I've stepped foot in Blockbuster once since I joined Netflix a couple years ago. Another plus is that you can keep the DVD as long as you want. They just won't send you a new one until you return the one you have. I've returned things the next day, and I've return things a month later. No one cares (except at about $9 a month, I really should watch at least 2 discs to make it worthwhile).

Yesterday I watched the Bucket List. I wanted to see it when it came out in the theaters earlier this year, but I was too busy at the time. A coworker confirmed that it's a good movie, he got it from Netflix a few weeks ago. I thought it was a good movie as well, and I'm not really sure why it didn't do better at the box office. Though I suspect it's because it's like a chick flick, except with guys starring in it.

A brief synopsis: two men, Edward (Jack Nicholson) and Carter (Morgan Freeman), are strangers sharing a hospital room and both are diagnosed with terminal cancer. Carter is making a "bucket list" - what to do before he "kicks the bucket." However, he actually starts this list before he gets the news that his cancer is terminal. Edward, a billionaire, really takes to the idea of the bucket list and urges Carter to join him to fulfill everything on the list. Money is no object.

To the dismay of Carter's wife, the two men take off around the world to fulfill some of the things on the list together, even though the items on the list were conceived individually. So Carter ends up doing some crazy things that are Edwards ideas, and vice versa. That's what adds humor to the movie.

I expected the movie to be extremely funny, based on the previews. And the funny parts were pretty funny, but it was also a very touching movie about friendship and dealing with death. Of course, part of it is dealing with death and making sure you'll have no regrets when your time comes.

The unlikely friendship developed between Carter, a mechanic, and Edward, a billionaire who happens to own the hospital they're in, adds to the depth of the movie. I was also very pleased to see Sean Hayes in the movie. He played Jack McFarland ("just Jack") in Will and Grace. I loved his character in W&G. He was good in the Bucket List too, although they probably could have made better use of him comically.

I thought this was a very good, multi-faceted movie. I would definitely watch it again. The DVD has a special feature that talks about a bucket list book, where celebrities wrote their own bucket lists. Proceeds from the book will go toward cancer research. I have to go look that up on Amazon. After seeing the movie, I want to create my own bucket list. You should too.


No comments: