Sunday, February 24, 2008

More on Anchorage...

I'm back with more on Alaska. The last post only covered half of the first day, so we'll see how much I can cover in this post!

Downtown Anchorage is a great walking town. We did not have a car, and really didn't need one, at least not while we were attending a conference there. Our first afternoon, we spent a bit of time just walking around, checking things out. We came across a scenic lookout, Resurrection Bay. The water itself was not much to look at, and looked more like mud flats. But looking out into the distance was a very unique experience for us, seeing snow-capped mountains. Since it was fall, we also saw autumn leaves, something we never see in Hawaii.

As I mentioned in a previous post, there are number of tourist traps in Anchorage, and I think we walked into just about all of them. For any future Anchorage travelers, before you buy anything, look in all of the shops first. You will probably find that the exact same item can be priced very differently in a number of shops!

We found a number of restaurants within easy walking distance of our hotel. I think I am going to steal an idea from another blogger and list the restaurants here now, so you can look at them whenever you'd like (since you know it's probably going to take me another six months before I finally complete posting about my entire Alaska trip!):

Anchorage:
Sack's Cafe
Snow Goose Restaurant
Glacier Brewhouse
Crow's Nest (we only had a night cap here)
Fletcher's

Snow City Cafe

Seward:
Christo's Palace
Chinook's
Apollo

Alyeska:
The Pond Cafe (served in the Aurora Lounge)
Double Musky Inn

And here are the hotels we stayed in:

Hotel Captain Cook, Anchorage
Holiday Inn, Seward
Hotel Alyeska, Alyes
ka

We ended up eating at a couple of the restaurants more than once, partly because we couldn't get into some of the restaurants we wanted to try because they were crowded, and partly because we just really enjoyed the food and atmosphere. Snow Goose was one of the places we ate at twice. On our first visit, I tried the crab stuffed halibut. My point of view is that almost anything stuffed with crab has to be good! Alaska is known for halibut, and it's also known for crab, so I couldn't go wrong. It was served with asparagus, and probably some kind of starch that I can't remember at the moment. In any case, it was good enough that we didn't mind going back again later during our trip.

That's it for now...gotta get to bed since I have to go to work tomorrow to be able to earn enough to pay for all of my adventures! But hey, at least I'm starting to make a dent on posting about the trip I took 4 1/2 months ago!

No comments: