Sunday, February 10, 2008

Anchorage, Alaska

I've realized that I can't procrastinate any longer. It's time for me to face the music and at least start telling my readers about my Alaska trip, especially since I think my readership may have increased to about five people.

As a recap, I went to Anchorage in late September for a work-related conference. My overall assessment of Anchorage is that I probably wouldn't spend a lot of time there if I was going on a pleasure trip, but it was a great place for a conference. The conference seminars were during the day, and at night, it didn't get dark until about 8 p.m., leaving us lots of time to walk around to shop, explore, and find a place to have dinner. I also thought that the food in Anchorage was actually quite good! When I was researching, it seemed like a lot of people said not to expect much from the food, but I respectfully disagree with those opinions.

Let's start with where we stayed -- the conference was held at the Hotel Captain Cook, which was a very nice hotel. Judging from the other hotels we saw, I would say that the Hotel Captain Cook is arguably the nicest hotel in Anchorage. We arrived at the hotel pretty early and had no problem checking in. The hotel has three towers, and we were placed in the tallest one. I was lucky enough to get a room on a higher floor. At first, the view didn't seem like much, probably because it was pretty overcast much of the time. However, when the skies cleared up, it was quite beautiful! I could see snow-capped mountains from my window.

After we got settled in, we went in search of food. We went to one of the places I found out about in my research, Sacks Cafe. This was a great restaurant! The decor was very nice, and the food was good and pretty affordable for lunch. I started with a cup of tomato gorgonzola soup, and had a reindeer sausage sandwich w/ fries as my main dish. Yep, you heard me, reindeer sausage!!! It was quite good! Not gamey, and very tasty. We soon found out that we would not be able to run away from reindeer sausage! The fries were served with roasted red pepper ketchup, which was excellent!

We spent the afternoon walking around getting acquainted with Anchorage. We found a number of tourist-trap shops, as well as some scenic areas and another good restaurant for dinner. I will save those for another post. Stay tuned for more on Anchorage!

1 comment:

Oybolshoi said...

Hey there! It's that wacky oybolshoi who always eats too much at Disney World!

A trip to Alaska is on our ridiculously long list of places we want to visit....Ii'll be popping back in to read more!