Saturday, September 27, 2008

Preparing to go on Vacation, and other Random Musings

Once again, I'm a slacker. I should probably stop saying that -- rather, my problem is that I sometimes have too MUCH to share! For example, last weekend I went to see Burn After Reading and a few days ago I went to see a special viewing of Flash of Genius (thanks Vegas Girl for the invite!). As far as food goes, I've been wanting to share a number of places. After Flash of Genius, we needed to find something that was open at 10 p.m., and I remembered some friends telling me about Kanpai, which is in the former Dixie Grill/Tio's location -- I'll post a formal review later, but suffice it to say that the food is good! I've also been wanting to share some of my favorite, somewhat regular places with you such as Kiawe Grill, Diamond Head Market and Grill, 3 Star, and Jus' Tacos. *Sigh* those will come in time, which I'm running out of.

My primary focus now is my upcoming trip to Florida. Part work, part play. I've been a little bit in denial about the trip. I think a lot of people are like me in that they experience different emotional phases prior to going on a trip. At first it's, "yay! I'm going on a trip!" and countless hours are spent trying to figure out where you're going to stay, which flights to book, and what there is to do in the area. Then there's a lull. As the trip approaches, it's kind of like, "yay! I leave in a month!" but I don't do anything else, and I lose sight of it again. Then I hit a point where I felt like I should be excited, but I really wasn't. And about a week ago, I discovered a special event going on in Disney World, but I kind of put off calling because of the time difference. I finally called a couple days ago, only to find out the event is booked. Boo! I tried again this morning, but still booked. Now I've hit an, "oh crap, I leave in a week" point. So right now I'm working on a packing list.

Why am I making a packing list? Part of it is simply because I am anal retentive. It's in my nature. And I once stayed a weekend in Waikiki and forgot to pack underwear, and I had to go to Ala Moana to buy some, so that was an experience that scarred me a little. The other reason is that I am a sucker for gadgets. And I can't leave home without them. And if I can't leave home without the gadgets, I can't leave home without the chargers, extra memory, and accessories that go with them. So this year, for the first time, my packing list has subcategories. So under the "Check in luggage" category, I have an "Electronics" category, which reminds me to bring the chargers for my point-and-shoot camera, my Zen Vision, and my cell phone, as well as a power strip to plug all of these things into. But that's not all...last year I bought an SLR camera, so I have to carry that on with me, along with 4 lenses, extra memory, and the charger. And of course I'm carrying on the devices, so in addition to a bag especially to carry the SLR and accessories, in my carry on bag I will have my cell phone, point-and-shoot camera, and Zen Vision, plus my laptop and laptop charger since it's a long flight and I might have a chance to charge it while I'm sitting in the airport in Houston waiting for my connecting flight. *WHEW!*

I don't own the gadgets, they own me. And typing all this just reminded me that on Monday I should be receiving a tripod I ordered. Should I take that with me too??? Thinking about all of this makes me tired. Which is probably what set me into a lull with regard to thinking about the trip in the first place!

But, I have to get serious. The planning really does help because I won't be wasting my time trying to figure out what to do once I reach my destination. Of course, I'm not so anal and inflexible that things can't be changed, but at least there is some kind of plan in place.

I'll share more details in a future post, but in summary, I'll be flying into Tampa for a conference. Three of my coworkers will also be attending the conference. I refer to them as coworkers here, but they're my friends too. I feel very fortunate to have coworkers that I am close to and that I have fun with. In a way, it's sad too, because the reason we are so close is that we probably spend more time with each other than our own families and non-work friends! But that's okay...we have a good time together and that's what keeps us sane during some pretty stressful situations.

Anyway, so we'll be in Tampa for a few nights attending a conference, then we are all going to Disney World together (plus one coworkers' husband who will be meeting us there) to have some fun! This will also be a picture taking adventure for me. Hopefully my partners in crime will be patient with me if I have the urge to stop and take pictures!! I'll save the details of this for another post.

My plan is to provide quick updates to my blog daily, but we'll see if that happens since I had the same plan last year and I haven't even finished up those blogs!! Slacker...

No comments: