Saturday, July 28, 2007

Hair Spray Movie Review



Hair Spray was a great movie in many different ways: the music was great, the cast was full of talented people, and it was just a very lighthearted, fun film, that sends a message of "can't we all just get along?" A word of warning: it is a musical. I know some people don't like it when almost the whole movie is full of singing -- to be honest, although I saw the '80s version of Hair Spray with Rikki Lake, I have a horrible memory for things I only see once, and I didn't really remember much of what the movie is about. I expected it to be mostly dialogue with a song here and there, but it was mostly singing with a few portions of dialogue.

Why did I want to see Hair Spray? Mostly because of how hilarious John Travolta looks dressed as a woman! I also learned that Christopher Walken was in the movie, and because I think he's kinda creepy, I just had to see how he fit into this picture. I was not disappointed, and I actually enjoyed the movie much more than I thought I would. I think I would even consider getting the DVD, because I like to have funny, heartwarming DVDs in my collection. The singing was so great and the songs so fun, that I would also like to get the soundtrack.

Here's a link to the official movie site: http://www.hairspraymovie.com/

Nikki Blonsky stars as Tracy Turnblad, who immediately left me with a great impression with her opening rendition of "Good Morning Baltimore." Blonsky exudes a wonderful, fun-loving spirit, and made me believe that she is someone I would want to be friends with. John Travolta is Edna Turnblad, Tracy's mother, who suffers (obviously) from weight issues, but handles them in a much less optimistic way than Tracy does. Christopher Walken is Wilber Turnblad, Tracy's father. Suffice it to say that Walken and Travolta share some interesting and hilarious moments in the film!

Other notables are Queen Latifah and Michelle Pfeiffer, as well as Brittany Snow (from the tv show, American Dreams) and Alison Janney (one of my favorite characters in the West Wing series that ended last year). Amanda Bynes is also in the movie as Tracy's best friend Penny.

The movie begins with Tracy's quest to become a regular on the "Corny Collins Show," but turns into a quest for acceptance and equality on many levels. Tracy's demeanor is one that doesn't allow failure as an option. She doesn't see her weight as an obstacle to achieving her dreams. Her ambition extends beyond her own personal goals, and she is resolved to help others be able to realize their dreams as well.

I would recommend this movie to anyone that enjoys a feel-good movie, a musical, or a comedy. While some men may think this is a typical chick flick, my guess is that most will find the antics of John Travolta and Christopher Walken worth being dragged along to the movie by a wife or girlfriend.

No comments: